Tuesday, April 11, 2017

H2OnTheGo (post3)

Hi friends! Thanks for visiting my progress report again :)

To further my project, I've been researching the price of raw materials and pieces of technology that are needed to create one bottle. Some considerations and notes:
  • Since the bottle has moisture sensitive technology, the water bottle cap needs waterproofing.
  • The water bottle set will be comprised of a bracelet and a water bottle, with the bracelet connecting to the bottle via magnet.
  • The bracelet is primarily silicon, adjustable by disc magnets to fit all wrist sizes. Its function is to remind the wearer to drink water periodically; keep the reminder with the person as opposed to solely on the bottle.
  • Reminders will come from bottle itself and the bracelet.

Cost of materials per bottle:
bluetooth chips - (receiving and sending) - $5
glass thermos bottle - $4
stainless steel - $0.06
thermocouple (measures temperature) - $2
processor - $6
touchscreen back-glow display - $7
silicone rubber - $0.10
plastic - $0.20
disc magnets (6) - $0.48

cost per bottle: $24.84

Because the cost is around $25, the price of the bottle should be around $90 to make adequate profit.

Finding the base cost of materials was actually pretty difficult--I ended basing my costs off of what I saw on wholesale websites that were kind of sketchy.
The accessibility of information needed to accurately calculate the costs was a bit of a set back, but I just averaged out what I saw and estimated the best I could. The only actual setback is HOW HARD BLOGGER IS TO USE. The pictures in post2 really screwed up my blog formatting. I just have to deal with it and do the best I can to make my posts un-ugly.

Through this project, I've learned that I am maybe not cut out for engineering because I could not figure out of the life of me how bluetooth works and how to make it, though I did manage to find some components needed to build it.

No comments:

Post a Comment