Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Unit 6 Reflection

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/60/ca/e7/60cae7479910fd1eb4d9f6d61c75b2da.jpg
This unit was about the brain and our senses. We first started off with the anatomy of the brain and brief overview of what role each part of the brain had. Then, we learned more specifically about the two hemispheres and lobes. The left hemisphere is more detail and fact oriented while the right looks at overall context more. The brain is very malleable and has the ability to reorganize itself to heal from damage or in response to new experiences. Next we touched on all our senses--sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell--and the specific receptors that are used to sense stimuli. For example, we have thermoreceptors to sense heat and propioreceptors that sense pain. In order for receptors to send signals to the brain, there need to be neurons, which we learned about next. The neural system is organized into the PNS and CNS, each playing an important role in interpreting messages and sending out tasks for motor neurons.
http://climatereview.net/ChewTheFat/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/CNS-vs-PNS.jpg


Readings in this Unit:
"How to become a Superager" by Lisa Barret
This article was about how some older people are able to maintain their brain capability to equal those of younger people in their 20s. She calls those people "superagers". Physically, regular agers' brains degrade after a while of dissuse, The only way to keep the brain at it's peak is to engage it in solving challenges or performing difficult tasks. In our brain lecture we talked about how neurons that fire together, wire together, but here we learn that the opposite is also true. If neurons are not fired, they become disconnected. 

"FIt Body, Fit Brain, and Other Fitness Trends" by Gretchen Reynolds
Reynolds talks about how we can keep our brains in tip-top shape and also explains why each method is necessary. Exercise is linked to brain fitness: improvements in thinking and an increase in the number of neurons. Weight training is particularly important because it leads to fewer lesions in the brain's white matter, which is needed to pass messages to varying parts of the brain. Interestingly enough, in a study about twins, the twin with larger calves had a healthier brain that the twin with punier calves, directly supporting how important weight training is for the brain. Based on lectures, we know why white matter is essential to brain function ( it is full of neurons). If physical and mental exercise helps us in keeping our white matter and increasing the number of neurons in the brain, clearly exercise is something every person should be motivated to do.

"How We Get Addicted" by Michael D. Lemonick
Addictions are defined as "repetitive behaviors in the face of negative consequences", the desire to do something you know is bad for you. Scientists are now able to develop a better understanding of how addictions affect the brain. They found out that drugs stimulate the same brain functions that allowed our ancestors to survive. Exposing ourselves to drugs creates a salience overdrive that creates uncontrollable craving. The reason we are not ALL addicts is because we have a reasoning part of our brain that can tell us that the consequences of addiction are not worth it. The reasoning part of the brain is mostly the prefrontal cortex. As we learned early on in this unit, the brain has many different parts all in charge of different functions. The cortex is involved in making judgements and plans and can override cravings.


Senioritis is hitting me 100% full force and my academic aggression for this class is faltering. I don't do anything unless I have to anymore: I don't cut and paste my notes in until it's due, I take many "breaks" from work. As far as strengths, at least I'm maintaining decent grades and still doing the work for my classes. I also haven't skipped any school even though I have been tempted, so I'll consider that an achievement.  
Based on the previous paragraph, I think it is clear that my goal of staying motivated is on it's way to failure. However, I am maintaining a healthier lifestyle these days. I go running with my friends on a weekly basis and I watch what I eat (can't do that overcarbsumption stuff!). I get adequate sleep, although whether it's because I can't physically stay up anymore like I used to or if it's because I actually want the health benefits of enough sleep is unclear. Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment